PRAY4SAUDI - JUNE 2012 - SUMMER VACATION
For most families, summer vacation is the long-awaited opportunity to get away from the normal routines of life and relax. It is no different for the families in Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia has no rivers. Approximately 80% of the land is covered by desert. The average high temperature during the summer months is about 45C (113F). But temperatures can sometimes reach 54C (129F). It is no surprise then that many Saudi families leave the Arabian Peninsula to find cooler weather.
Every summer millions of Saudis travel. In the past, Saudis enjoyed going to North Africa and the Middle East. However, with the Arab Spring and safety concerns, many are now planning to vacation in places like the USA, Europe, Malaysia, Turkey, and Singapore.
One popular activity for traveling Saudis is language study. In particular, English. They “travel abroad to study English,” explains the Saudi Gazette, “in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada or other countries where English is the native language. Proficiency in the English language has become increasingly important for Saudis because of globalization.”
Saudis traveling abroad gives Christian Believers around the world an opportunity to experience the Saudi culture, be blessed by their kindness and hospitality, and to, in turn, present the Gospel. The majority of Saudis have never had the chance to hear about Jesus Christ. But in many places where they travel they can receive New Testaments, Bibles, and other materials that will point them to Jesus.
- Saudis to encounter the Lord Jesus Christ while on vacation. Pray for Christians to have a heart of love and grace toward Saudis and be prepared to share and demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ with these travelers. (The Bible, 1 Peter 3:15)
- Churches and Christian organizations to be strategic in reaching Saudis abroad. Pray for the Lord to give them new ideas and resources for reaching them. (The Bible, Isaiah 30:21)
- the Lord to direct traveling Saudis away from vice and keep them from activities that put them at risk to gang attacks, terrorism, and sexually-transmitted diseases. (The Bible, Proverbs 1:7)
- New Testaments, Bibles, and other materials to be distributed in Arabic to Saudis that are hungry for the truth. (The Bible, Isaiah 55:11)
- these key places where Christian Believers are planning to share Jesus with visiting Saudis: London (the Olympics), Geneva, Interlaken (many Saudi honeymooners), Salalah (Oman), and Gold Coast of Australia. (The Bible, Ephesians 6:19)
- Saudis to hunger and thirst for the righteousness found only in Jesus Christ. (The Bible, Matthew 5:6)
- Saudis both inside and outside the borders of Saudi Arabia to recognize that eternity has been planted in their hearts and minds – “a divinely implanted sense of purpose working through the ages which nothing under the sun but God alone can satisfy.” (The Bible, Ecclesiastes 3:11)
- demolishing of the strongholds that keep the people of Saudi Arabia from hearing and responding to the Good News of Jesus Christ. (The Bible, 2 Corinthians 10:4)
- the Lord to pour out His Spirit upon Saudis, giving them dreams and visions. Pray for the Lord to reveal Himself in great power and draw families and tribes into relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord (The Bible, Acts 2:17; Acts 16:31)
- effective house churches to be planted and to grow throughout Saudi Arabia. (The Bible, Matthew 16:18)
- the Kingdom of God to come to Saudi Arabia with signs, wonders, and miracles. (The Bible, 1 Corinthians 4:20)